Emotional Support

Emotions & Self-Care

Seeking Support:

  • Counselor / Therapist / Psychologist: It's okay to seek outside support, and you can talk to a professional therapist, counselor, or psychologist through LMU or the local community. Students can use Student Psychological Services free of charge. Learn more about Support from LMU.
  • Crisis Centers: Crisis centers are places dedicated to supporting survivors of sexual or interpersonal misconduct and often provide counseling, support programs, legal referrals, and access to advocates (also called Rape Crisis Centers). Find a center near you: Support In the Area.
  • Advocates: Sometimes called survivor advocates or victim advocates, these are compassionate allies who can support you by accompanying you to a medical or forensic exam, explaining your reporting options, helping you find support services, and referring you to legal resources. Connect with the local crisis center in your area to talk to an advocate.

Common Emotional Responses:

There is no right or wrong emotional response to an experience of sexual or interpersonal misconduct; each person will have their own reaction. It’s common to experience a mix of emotions and feelings, like sadness, anger, confusion, shame, or uncertainty of what to do next. It can be useful to seek support and practice active self-care to aid the healing process.  Below are some tips and reminders for taking care of yourself throughout your process.


Self-care is an important part of healing. While you may feel pressure from others to respond in a certain way, your only obligation is to your own healing. You are in the best position to know what you need.

  • Check in with yourself about your sleeping, eating, exercise, and substance use patterns. Your physical health is directly connected to your emotional well-being. If you feel tired or emotionally drained, consider incorporating meditation or other relaxation practices into your daily routine.
  • Processing what happened in a safe environment is important; if you do not feel safe in your school environment due to ongoing contact with the perpetrator, you have the right to change your housing accommodations or class schedule. Read more about College Policies and Your Title IX Rights.

Remember that you are not alone, and it's okay to seek out support, whether through friends, an advocate, online communities, a crisis center, or a counselor or therapist.

Back to top

Support from LMU

LMU offers a number of support resources for students who have been impacted by sexual or interpersonal misconduct. You can find on-campus support from Student Health Services or Student Psychological Services. 

LMU also offers advice on What Should You Do? after experiencing sexual or interpersonal misconduct. You can find out which people are Confidential Resources, which have limited confidentialityand which are required to give information to the Title IX Coordinator so that you can best choose who to speak with about what happened.

Back to top

Support in the Area

There are resources for you in the local community that are not affiliated with LMU. If you prefer to speak with someone outside of the University community, you can find out more about Local Services.

The Rape Treatment Center at Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center (RTC) is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. RTC provides general medical treatment and collection of evidence, and also provides long term counseling support for victims of sexual assault and sexual violence as well as advocacy and accompaniment services.

LMU offers free and confidential rides to and from RTC at any time of day or night. Just call the Department of Public Safety’s Emergency Line by dialing 222 on campus or (310) 338-2893 x1 and an officer will escort you there.

  • Location: 1250 16th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90404
  • Phone: (310) 319-4000
Back to top

Nationally & Globally

Nonconsensual or unwanted sexual contact is never okay, regardless of the state or country in which it occurs. Below are resources to find information and support nationally and internationally.

RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network)
RAINN is the largest US network supporting survivors of sexual assault and abuse, and offers a free, completely anonymous and confidential 24/7 online chat service that you can access from anywhere around the globe. Chat with a trained RAINN support specialist anytime at online.rainn.org. Learn more at the RAINN resources website.   

U.S. Department of State -  Office of Overseas Citizens Services
The State Department can help you contact family or friends, obtain medical care, address emergency needs, understand the local criminal justice process and connect with local and/or US-based resources for victims of crime, including local legal representation. The first step is often connecting with the local US consulate or embassy.

Back to top